Friday, March 16, 2012

Trip to the ER


While for most people trips to the ER are scare and infrequent.
For Phil, ER is a last resort. When all of the doctors on our "team" can't figure out what to do for him. They actually have recommended that we go to ER while at the doctors offices. But usually Phil will take any other path than to go to ER. He hates hosptials.
I'm actually really proud of Phil. From September 2010-April 2011 Phil had already stayed in the hospital 3 times.
He has been back to ER only twice since April 2011 and both times he was checked in but not admitted to the hospital.
Last night was one of those two times.
I always push for an ER visit. Why? Because I don't know what to do to help Phil when he becomes uncomfortable. I'm not a doctor, and I feel that doctor would have a better idea of what is going on and could help him out. I think maybe I get confused, because this is not always the case.
Yesterday I called DHA (Digestive Health Associates), to check in with the nurse because Phil wasn't able to hold down food or liquids, which was an issue prior to starting prep for the colonoscopy and endoscopy. The nurse became concerned when I told her Zolfan wasn't really working (Zolfan is an anti-nausea medicine) and he had a temperature of 103 plus he had blood tests that came back last week that the pancreatitis was still active. So she suggested we go to Urgent Care or ER to at least get Phil pumped full of liquids.

We first made our way to Renown. Poor choice on our part. 4 hour wait. So we headed back over to our side of town, to Northern Nevada Medical Center. We waited maybe 20 minutes, if that. I'm really glad we got there when we did. The rush came about 2 hours after Phil was taken to the back and given a temporary room.

My dad was awesome and came and took Ava to his house. Although several others were happy to take her, I have to say I'm glad my dad took her. We were in ER until 10pm. I can't imagine anyone else having to deal with Ava attitude on a work night, with a toddler who thinks she runs the world (sometimes) two hours past her bedtime. Maybe its just because we are her parents, but she has been a crazy girl this week. I'm glad Ava didn't have to sit with us in ER. Lots of people were stomach sick (YUCK).
Phil went through 1 bag of fluids in less than 30 minutes. He had four doses of pain medicine, I probably should have written everything down that they gave him, but I didn't. He was also given Motrin,
They took tons of blood, they did another CT scan. They even took about 4-6 samples of blood cultures. They put it in a machine that will test for blood infections. The results for that should come in within a few days.
Mostly he was given fluids and broke the fever.
The CT showed some swelling in his colon but no sign of diverticulitis or kidney stones. So they had some fancy name for a colon infection, and gave him antibiotics, which should also help if he has a bacterial blood infection as well. If its a virus, there is nothing they can do.

So at 10pm we finally got to leave the hospital. 5 hours after being admitted.
Phil still hasn't been able to sleep well. And the doctors think I'm kidding when I suggest to give him something as powerful as horse tranquilizers. I'm not kidding, but I don't want Phil to end up dead either.

Anyways, Phil is out of the hospital.
The colonoscopy and endoscopy are postponed, again.

And hopefully, whatever it is will be cleared up by Monday so Phil can rest up and prepare for our trip to San Diego next week to see our cousin Julie get married!

No comments:

Post a Comment